Halloween may have come and gone, but for those who wish they could experience just a few more spine-tingling moments before we succumb to the more cheerful holiday season, you’re in luck. Often referred to as the “Master of Horror,” director and composer John Carpenter will bring a live performance of his famously chilling film scores to Terminal 5 on Thursday. In conjunction with a new release that collects his film music on one album for the first time, Anthology: Movie Themes 1974-1998 (stream it below), Carpenter will perform his iconic synth-driven pieces from such classic films as Halloween, They Live, The Fog and Christine. There’s no better time to dust off those VHS tapes and take a moment to revisit Carpenter’s filmography (above, the Escape from New York main-title theme live in studio) in preparation for what promises to be a memorable (and spooky) night of music. —Alena Kastin | @AlenaK
Tag Archives: Halloween
Halloween, like New Year’s Eve, is one of those nights that can bring out the worst in people. So rather than getting stuck in parade traffic or stepping in puke on the sidewalk, let live music be your guide tonight. Sohn at Music Hall of Williamsburg and Phil Lesh & Friends at the Capitol Theatre are already sold out, but no worries, because we’ve still got plenty of other options for you:
1. At Mercury Lounge, Booga Sugar hosts their Boogaween Costume Ball, alongside Lead of Foxes and Blubba Brothers.
2. Mercury Lounge also has a late show, obviously, with Park Slope five-piece Bernardo.
3. Brooklyn Bowl has electronic duo Capital Cities with Sneaky Sound System and Night Terrors of 1921.
4. The Bowery Ballroom will have some instrumental illness with Texas quartet This Will Destroy You, plus Future Death and Silent Land Time Machine.
5. Rough Trade NYC welcomes the legendary Meat Puppets and the funny, talented troubadour Cass McCombs.
6. And Terminal 5 plays host to the Royal Family Halloween Ball featuring Lettuce and Soulive with Branx opening.
In other words, we’ve got something for everyone. So get involved.
Tags: Bernardo, Blubba Brothers, Booga Sugar, Bowery Ballroom, Branx, Brooklyn Bowl, Capital Cities, Capitol Theatre, Cass McCombs, Future Death, Halloween, Lead of Foxes, Lettuce, Meat Puppets, Mercury Lounge, Music Hall of Williamsburg, Night Terrors of 1927, Phil Lesh & Friends, Preview, Rough Trade NYC, Silent Land Time Machine, Sneaky Sound System, SOHN, Soulive, Terminal 5, This Will Destroy You, Video
Posted in House List, Preview, Video No Comments »